FAQ’s - Frequently Asked Questions about our Fireplace Mantels
How does our measurement/program work?
- From our Mantel Designs Gallery , choose a mantel that suits your taste and the decor of your home.
- Decide the type of finish you would like. (double primed, prepped, sanded and finished or natural wood stain finish).
- Visit our Measuring and Ordering page which provides us with the key information on the dimensions required to fit your fireplace situation.
- Try to provide us with a photograph or drawing if possible, by email.
- Call us or email us to place your order, we will confirm the measurements of your mantel and discuss any special considerations with you.
- Hazelmere will then build a mantel to your specifications and have it shipped to your address.
What are the key factors to consider in figuring out the size of mantel I need?
- The key to building your mantel is the fireplace opening width and height.
- The opening size is determined by two things; aesthetics and building code or manufacturers' requirements for adequate clearance from the edge of the fireplace to a combustible mantel.
- You need to choose a size that meets your need for a properly scaled mantel and meets, or exceeds, minimum code clearances.
- Your builder, fireplace supplier, or local building inspector can tell you what the minimum clearance requirements are for your fireplace.
- We want to avoid covering any switches or fixtures, or encroaching on any windows, near the fireplace. Please let us know where they are located so we may take them into consideration.
What are the mantels made of?
- Mantels that receive a paint finish are constructed of a high quality plywood and wood or fiberboard moldings.
- Fiber board is made from wood fiber (it's not particle board!) and it is now the standard in the industry for painted wood products including kitchen cabinet doors and mantels.
- Once sealed, fiber board is much less susceptible to warpage than wood, and superior paint finishes can be achieved.
- Using fiber board is also more environmentally friendly than using solid wood.
- Mantels from other selected woods are constructed from a combination of veneers and solid woods. Great care is taken to color match components for an even finish.
How are Hazelmere Fireplace & Mantels finished?
- Mantels to be painted first have a double prime coat then our top quality paint and superior finish.
- Mantels that will be stained or left natural are also treated with our superior finish to protect them for a very long time.