Frequently Asked Questions about our Fireplace Mantels
How does our program work?
- From our Mantel Designs Gallery , choose a mantel that suits your taste and the decor of your home.
- Decide the type of finish you would like. (double primed, prepped and sanded or natural wood finish).
- Visit our Measuring and Ordering page which provides us with the key information on the dimensions required to fit your fireplace situation.
- Hazelmere will then build a mantel to your specifications and have it shipped to your address.
What are the key factors to consider in figuring out the size of mantel I need?
- The key to building your mantel is the opening width and height.
- The opening size is determined by two things-aesthetics and building code or manufacturers' requirements for adequate clearance from the edge of the fireplace to a combustible mantel.
- You need to choose a size that meets your need for a properly scaled mantel and meets, or exceeds, minimum code clearances.
- Your builder, fireplace supplier, or local building inspector can tell you what the minimum clearance requirements are for your fireplace.
- Obviously we want to avoid covering any switches or fixtures, or encroaching on any windows, near the fireplace. Please let us know where they are located so we may take them into consideration.
What are the mantels made of?
- Mantels that receive a paint finish are constructed of a high quality plywood and wood or fibreboard moldings.
- Fibre board is made from wood fibre (but it's not particle board!) and it is now the standard in the industry for painted wood products including kitchen cabinet doors and mantels.
- Once sealed, fibre board is much less susceptible to warpage than wood, and superior paint finishes can be achieved.
- Using fibre board is also more environmentally friendly than using solid wood.
- Mantels from other selected woods are constructed from a combination of veneers and solid woods. Great care is taken to color match components for an even finish.
How are Hazelmere Mantels finished?
- Mantels to be painted come with a double prime coat ready for final painting.
- Mantels that will receive a natural wood finish are sanded and ready for staining or oiling.
Will I be getting a kit to assemble if I order a Hazelmere Mantel?
- No. Over the past few years many of our competitors have attempted to standardize the production of mantels by developing components that can be modified and assembled to fit a range of situations.
- The first result is an approach in which a limited number of production sizes can be used to fit a wide range of situations.
- The second result is a reduced production cost for the manufacturer and a "mantel kit" for you that unfortunately compromises joinery quality and aesthetics.
- At Hazelmere Mantel, your mantel is truly custom made for you. The result is high quality, attractive proportions, and the preservation of authentic traditional designs.